Near Dry Machining
Type: Water soluble fluid
Size: 1 gallon bottle (128oz)
BOELUBE ia a Boeing developed lubricant, it fights friction at the interface of the cutting edge and the workpiece. The reduction of friction at these surfaces minimizes heat generation and concurrent chip weld. Tools retain their cutting edge longer, leading to closer tolerances and prime chip yield.
BOELUBE is an extremely cost effective solution for single point work such as drilling and reaming, it improves tool life by reducing heat build-up by applying BOELUBE to the tool before start-up.
In near dry machining the goal is high efficiency, which is achieved as a result of using a minimal quantity of lubricant, this produces near dry work pieces and chips with little or no clean up (or related costs and disposal costs).
Drilling is one of the most widely used machining processes to produce circular holes in metallic and non metallic materials, and is generally characterized as a roughing process (rough form), whereas reaming is considered a finishing process (exact form).
In the near dry machining process, BOELUBE Liquid can be delivered as fine droplets or spray through one or more nozzles positioned accordingly around the cutting tool.
Delivering the BOELUBE liquid as fine droplets to the cutting edge is necessary in order to reduce friction between the chip, tool, and work piece, and prevent chips from adhering to the tool cutting edge.
The use of liquid BOELUBE requires continual reapplication of lubricant to the tool cutting edge and wear surfaces. This can be accomplished externally on shallow drilling, reaming and tapping operations, on milling cutters, and on band and circular saws.
Using a coaxial supply of compressed air and lubricant to the nozzle, the nozzle directs the lubricant droplets in the compressed air directly to the cutting edge. The compressed air will help move chips from the tool cutting edge as the fine lubricant droplets form a thin film at the point of contact to reduce friction.
Typical BOELUBE liquid usage is approx. 1 oz (30 ml) per hour of machining time, which is best determined by the particular machining process and work piece composition.
Major Benefits of BOELUBE:
– is non-corrosive, non-flammable, chemically stable and free of halogens, heavy metals, sulfur, phosphorus, silicone, petroleum or paraffin wax.
– does not contain any ingredients considered a hazardous substance by OSHA, WHMIS, IARC, NTP and state regulatory lists. Refer to material safety data sheets for additional information.
– will not promote dermatitis, provides a high degree of worker safety and presents a safe effective method to machine various types of materials without special handling, fluid recycle or typical disposal issues.
– can be removed from surfaces using isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, MEK or aqueous cleaner.
– has an indefinite shelf life.
– does not need to be removed prior to heat treatment.
– is in most cases compatible with paints and sealants (though it is highly recommended that compatibility is determined prior to use).
– provides superior lubrication when machining or forming the increasingly complex range of materials now being used in aerospace, automotive, engineering and a wide variety of other manufacturing industries.